In 1837, Edwin Charles Moseley, took the job as an editor of The Argus and on November 23, 1844 he founded the Nassau Guardian and published its first issue. Alfred Edwin Moseley acquired the newspaper from his father, Edwin. After Alfred died in 1904, Mary Moseley managed The Nassau Guardian. Mary would own and run the newspaper for 48 more years to a restricted audience with circulation seldom exceeding 300 daily. Since no one in the family was interested in the family business, she sold the newspaper to a group of Nassau business and professional men. The new owners tried to turn it into a propaganda medium, however it was not a success. John S. Perry Jr. acquired the paper in 1967. The Nassau Guardian became a fully Bahamian-owned newspaper on January 20, 2002 when John Jr.’s son sold his 60% stake in the company.